Monday, January 26, 2009

Painted Black Challenge


So I finally got a chance to do a Challenge Card! Woohoo! I worked on this card last night. It was Friday’s Limited Supply Challenge. Here is the link to look at the details.
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413661
Basically the challenge was to use black as the main background to allow the images and colors to pop more. Well, I racked my brain for two days trying to decide which set and layout I wanted to use. So yesterday morning, I received a tutorial email from Michelle (here is the link to her blog) http://zindorf.blogs.splitcoaststampers.com/. She inspired me to use this new Just Buzzin’ By set and to try a new technique as well.


The card didn’t turn out as well as I liked. There are too many lines from my brayer, but I thought I did pretty well for the first time. I also used Whisper White instead of glossy paper. I think if I had used the glossy stuff, I might have been better off. I will try that next time.

Anyway…here is the supply list:


Stamps: Stampin’ Up!© Just Buzzin’ By and Echoes of Kindness
Paper: Basic Black, Yoyo Yellow, Whisper White
Inks: Versa Mark, Basic Black, Bashful Blue, Tempting Turquoise, Certainly Celery
Accessories: Clear Embossing Powder, Gold Embossing Powder, Versa Mark Pen, Brayer, Sponges, Stampin’ Up!© Markers: So Saffron, More Mustard, Apricot Appeal, Rose Red, Pretty in Pink, Always Artichoke, Close to Coca, Chocolate Chip, Summer Sun
Techniques: Brayer and Heat Embossing


Learning from Michelle, I dipped my stamps into versa mark then the basic black ink. Added clear embossing powder and heat set. Then I colored in all of my images. To make it so the additional colors don’t stick to the images, color the areas with versa mark pen (you need to clean it like you do with blender pens when switching colors) and heat set with clear embossing powder. After all of the images are embossed, I used the brayer in Bashful Blue at the top. Then I used it in Tempting Turquoise at the very top. Added certainly celery at the bottom the bottom to give the image some grass. Then I used a very important tool to remove excess ink…paper towel! I have learned that I need to add paper towels to the stamp cabinet. LOL I layered the card and Viola…it is finished.


What do you think? TFL!

3 comments:

dawnmercedes said...

Oh wow! I like the striped look...sort of goes with the striped bees and the striped hive...

way to go!

Oh and nice new background!!

Connie M. said...

So cute, Kim! Fantastic coloring!!

Kim P said...

Cute card! Way to go using the brayer and emboss resist methods!!

Give Credit Where Credit is Due

My artwork is shared for personal inspiration only and may not be copied for publication or contest entry. All content including text, pictures and designs are copyright Kimberly Radaker.